Monday, March 16, 2015

What I found in Goa !


I had just posted on my Facebook wall that I was going to be in Goa for the rest of the week and my close friend and former roommate Rajeew messaged me and asked when I was reaching there. I replied with my time line but I did not discuss it further on that day. I was very busy with office and planning for my trip so it did not cross my mind that he might be planning to be there during same period.

On the day I arrived in Goa I messaged him and asked what was his plan and if he was about to visit Goa. He informed me that he was going to be there in the same week and that gave us 2 days of overlap in our vacation.

Some background, Rajeew and I have been friends since our time in Noida. We had been roommates first in Noida and then in Bangalore until he got married and I moved back to Delhi NCR. We have had similar lives and almost similar aspirations during our days as flatmates in Bangalore.

Our lives have changed quite a bit since our time in Bangalore, thus I was really happy that we would be able to meet without any prior planning, out of sheer luck. Rajeew has played an important role in my life in the way that his experiences with jobs and handling matters of life have been good insights into future for me.

Goa was a refreshing trip. I had plenty of time to spend with my wife. I spent a lot of time on beach and driving along the shore from north to south Goa. Meeting Rajeew and his wife was a bonus.

I drove to Rajeew’s hotel and from there we headed towards beaches for an evening #together in the shacks built on the Baga Beach. It is obvious that meeting an old friend after 3 years in itself is a cause for celebration. We sat reminiscing, all the crazy things that we had done #together.  

During our conversation what struck me most was that, even he was thinking about the same things in life that I was planning for, for example investments,  retirement plans, job security and most importantly a house of our own(https://housing.com/). He had started planning for buying some land almost at the same time last year when I started researching for a good flat. We are in the same phase of life, so it was reassuring to hear his plans and find them to be similar to mine. His plans gave me some ideas and his confidence gave me some assurance that even I was moving in the right direction and most importantly all this, having a house and investments for retirement and maintaining a family with enough days for vacation in a year was really possible.

This vacation not only gave me plenty of time to roam around, see a new city, meet an old friend but also made me more optimistic for the future lying ahead. It made me believe that all that I want to do is, indeed, doable.

No comments: